FAQ About Vent Hood Fans that will likely need a professional technician
Why is my vent hood making noise?
There are several possible causes of your vent hood making noise, including:
- Loose screws or bolts that may be rattling in the fan motor
- A fan motor that is out of alignment or has been improperly installed
- A worn-out fan blade and/or wheel, resulting in unusual vibration from the unit
- Fan blades hitting against the vent hood guard, creating a loud noise
- Air rushing through a clogged filter, creating turbulence within the unit
Why is my vent hood not turning on?
There are several possibilities as to why your vent hood is not turning on, including:
- A faulty switch
- An electrical power outage
- A burnt-out motor
- Clogged dust and debris buildup, blocking air flow and preventing the unit from powering up
If the unit has been installed correctly and you’ve checked your circuit breaker, it’s best to consult a professional technician for further assistance.
Why is my vent hood not sucking up smoke?
There are several possible causes of why your vent hood may not be sucking up smoke, including:
- An improperly sized fan that is unable to create sufficient air flow
- Clogged filters that reduce the ventilation capacity
- Your stovetop may not have enough heat output to activate the fan
- An electrical fault caused by a wiring issue or loose connection within the unit
- A damaged or malfunctioning motor
How do I clean my vent hood?
Cleaning your vent hood requires a few simple steps:
- Remove the filters and wash them with warm soapy water.
- Use a vacuum attachment to remove any dirt or dust buildup from within the hood.
- If necessary, use a soft cloth dampened with a mild detergent solution to wipe off grease build-up on the surface of the hood.
- Once the surfaces are dry, reassemble and replace the filters.
How often should I replace my vent hood filters?
Your vent hood filters should be replaced at least once a year. Other factors such as how frequently you use your stovetop and how often the appliance is on can affect how quickly the filters will need to be replaced. Additionally, if you notice any signs of damage or deterioration in your vent hood filters, they should be replaced immediately.